Monday, September 12, 2011

Weekend Sound Walk

I thought the best place to take this Sound Walk would be the local park by my house. So, I walked to Humboldt Park and made my first stop -- the Veteran's Memorial Gazebo.

What I heard at the Gazebo:
- Wind blowing through leaves on the trees.
- A bus' squealing breaks coming to a halt at what I assume is a stop light.
- Low rumble of a Passenger jet overhead.
- Faint sounds of cars moving by.
- A the beeping of a "kneeling bus" reverting from it's kneeling position back to normal then driving away. - Low hum of traffic.
- Windblown crusty leaves dancing and scraping across the pavement.
- The vibrations of a bad engine in a crappy car. More distinct than other car sounds.
- The rhythmic clicking of a bike chain.
- High pitched yelp of a small dog.
- The chime of the dog's metal tags clanking together.

After the Gazebo I walked down the trails a bit more until I came across the pond. I decided to sit on the dock so I can look at the geese and hopefully hear them.
It was really cool being able to hear the geese searching for food. It was a rather amusing noise because they'd flip upside down in the water the faint sound of their feet paddling frantically could be heard. It was rather amusing. What really ruined the tone and mood of my spot was the road I thought I got away from. The traffic now at this point was reduced to a barely audible hum, until a group of overly loud motorcyclists decided they just HAD to zoom past the intersection close by as quick as they could. But I digress.

There were two deterrents while doing this exercise:

1) Being able to turn off my brain and focus on the sound. A side effect to having A.D.D.

2) Discerning dominating sounds from middle sounds because neither would last long. I eventually came to the conclusion that traffic was the middle ground, but wind would come and go, and sometimes traffic would boom louder than the wind. It kept shifting.

However the sounds of kids playing nearby was always a constant "tiny" sound that, if I wanted to, I could focus on, but I could then just as easily drone it out.


Finally, before walking home, I took a walk over to the Baseball bleachers and popped a squat to draw my Sound Map. The results are below.

No comments:

Post a Comment