Monday, October 10, 2011

Assignment 2 -- Audio Processing

STE-000 Park/Bandshell















This was the first piece of audio I tried to fix up. If you listen there's a good amount of hiss in the clip so I began with a Channel EQ, not thinking at the time that I could have just as simply removed the sound with a Low Pass Filter. It's also very apparent that they clip is very low, even for ambient noise, so I threw some normalization on to help raise that up a bit. I find that these ambient clips are the most annoying to play with because, at least for me, I'm never sure what dB range they should be peaking at. I tried to stay with a consistent -18dB - -23dB range for ambient sounds.

OLD

NEW

4CH00M Park/Bandshell















This one was a bit more of a headache to fix. Once again I heard the excess of heavy hiss, so this time I applied a Low Pass Filter which worked like a charm. I then went in with a Channel EQ and turned down the bass tones ever so slightly so the traffic hum would be a little less loud and so when the kids come stomping close to the mic, it wouldn't be as intense. I feel t
his track came out well because I still get all
of the surrounding sounds l
ike traffic, a dog's leash and the kids and none of it is lost.

OLD
NEW

STE-002 Park/Bandshell














As is becoming the ritual, I heard loud hiss, so I went in with a Low Pass Filter to smooth it out, but the hiss is becoming the easy issue now. Wha
t this clip has problems with is wind noise passing by the mic. I was recording with an external mic and never put a wind screen on. The wind would peak at about -3dB at times while the main noise would be around -20dB or such. This is an issue, so I went in with a Compression filter to try to cut out the space inbetween the the sounds and, hopefully, smooth out the wind sound some so it's not AS bad. I then also went in with a Channel EQ and tried turning down the bassier tones.

OLD


NEW

STE-005 Park/Pond














There wasn't a lot of hiss in this walking track, but enough for my to justify using my trusty Low Pass Filter again. This is a pretty clean recording ultimately, just a little quiet, so I tried to boost up some of the tones with a normalizer so it would hit appropriate ranges.

OLD

NEW

STE-006 Park/Pond














I again used the Low Pass Filter to get rid of the bits of hiss that are in the clip, but my main goal was to remove some of the wind noise and other loud tones, like the rumble of cars, so I also used a Channel EQ to even the tones out a bit.

OLD

NEW

STE-009 School/Dumpster














This clip was originally a failed experiment I felt the need to clean-up. My goal was to try to capture wind sounds when they blew through the side piece of a dumpster, so I put my mics in there. Issue is, there was no wind so I got stale air and a train. So, I took care of the hiss first so I could focus on the other issues with a Low Pass Filter. I then wanted to get ride of SOME of that stale air sound all the while lowering the intensity of the train, so I went with a Channel EQ to even out the tones. There is still some lingering sound of stale air, but it's not as bad as it once was.

OLD

NEW

STE-012 School/Bush














As always, started with a Low Pass Filter to get rid of the small traces of hiss, which there isn't much of. I thought the clip was a bit quiet myself, so I thought I'd tried to boost the sound by adding a normalization filter on. Not sure if that was the right move, I could have probably used Compressor, but Normalizer seemed like the right choice since the clip is all pretty much a constant tone. I then tried to turn down some of the bass tones, like cars driving, using Channel EQ. Then to top it all off, I turned down the actual volume of the clip a touch.

OLD

NEW

STE-013 Home














This clip didn't need much really at all, just had some hiss issues. I put on a Low Pass Filter and tried experimenting with Channel EQ to see if I could enrich the tones a bit, but really, I couldn't. The clip seems to be good with very little done to it. I may be wrong, but that's my assessment.

OLD

NEW

No comments:

Post a Comment